Section 45. Residence permit for a mother or a father who is to have visitation with a Norwegian child

An applicant who is the mother or father of a Norwegian child under the age of 18 who lives permanently with the other parent in the realm is entitled to a residence permit. It is a condition that the applicant:
  1. a.
    has lived with the child or has to some extent exercised visitation outside Norway in the course of the last year,
  2. b.
    has visitation rights of a certain extent in the realm, and
  3. c.
    substantiates that visitation will be exercised.
A residence permit may nevertheless be refused if this would lead to the applicant being reunited with a spouse living in Norway who is already married to or cohabiting with another person in Norway. The same applies if the applicant and the parent living in Norway are not married at the time of application but a bigamous relationship has previously existed between the applicant, the parent living in Norway and the latter’s present spouse or cohabitant.
The King may issue regulations containing further provisions on the calculation of time under the first paragraph, (a), and on the requirement regarding the extent of the visitation rights under (a) and (b). The King may also issue regulations containing supplementary provisions on the power to refuse a residence permit under the second paragraph.