Denne siden på andre språk:

HSE cards in the building and construction industry

This webpage provides information about the scheme for HSE cards at building and construction sites that entered into force on 1 January 2008.

To order HSE cards, go to:
The card order website is operated by Oberthur Technologies (formerly NORSIK), which checks information submitted and issues the HSE cards on behalf of the authorities.


On 30 March 2007, the Ministry of Labour and Social Inclusion issued new Regulations concerning HSE cards at construction sites. The regulations entered into force on 1 January 2008.

Who must have HSE cards?

The ID card. The ID card.

All undertakings that perform work at building and construction sites, both Norwegian and foreign, are required to provide their employees with HSE cards. The purpose of this is to identify both who you are and who you work for.

Foreign workers employed by foreign companies at assignments at building and construction sites in Norway must also carry HSE cards. This also applies to short-term assignments.

One-man enterprises (including those that operate on their own) shall have HSE cards. Undertakings (skilled tradesmen) who only provide services in the consumer market are also obliged to provide their employees (and/or themselves) with HSE cards. When engaging skilled tradesmen in connection with building of or improvements to houses or holiday cabins, private individuals should request to see HSE cards.

Personnel who perform support functions such as cleaning, catering, etc. are also required to carry HSE cards when they are permanently established on the site. Persons who transport goods to building and construction sites shall be provided with HSE cards if such transport takes place on a regular basis.

If you have an HSE card for an undertaking which employs you from time to time, but also take on construction assignments for other undertakings or for your own undertaking, you must have an HSE card for each undertaking. The purpose of this is to identify both who you are and who you work for.

What is meant by ‘building and construction site’

The requirement regarding HSE cards applies to all building, construction and assembly work carried out during the building and construction period (see section 2 b of the Construction Client Regulations. This includes:

  • construction of buildings
  • fitting out and installation work
  • assembly and dismantling of prefabricated elements
  • demolition, alteration* and restoration work
  • redevelopment and maintenance
  • general construction work, for example tunnels and bridges
  • digging, blasting and other foundation work
  • other work carried out in connection with building and construction activities, for example in temporary workshops for maintenance of machinery used on a building or construction site

    * Existing buildings
    The requirement regarding HSE cards also applies to rehabilitation (alteration) of existing buildings. This applies, among other things, to installation of electrical wiring, escalators, air conditioning systems, lifts, etc. which are an integral part of the building.
    Replacement and maintenance of production plant or industrial machinery is not building and construction work. Personnel engaged in such activities do not require HSE cards.

There is no HSE card requirement in fixed, permanent undertakings that perform building and construction work. For example, it does not apply to shipyards or to factories for production of prefabricated houses.

Nor are HSE cards required for snow clearance on roads outside building and construction sites.

To obtain HSE cards, you must do the following:

To obtain HSE cards, you must do the following:

  • The Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities - compulsory for all
  • The National Population Register (or the Central Office for Foreign Tax Affairs) – compulsory for all
  • The NAV State Register of Employers and Employees (Aa-registeret)
  • The Central Office for Foreign Tax Affairs
  • The VAT Register

Before ordering HSE cards, it is very important to check that you are correctly registered in the various registers. If you are not correctly registered, the application for HSE cards will be rejected when the information you submit is electronically checked against the various registers.

The undertaking must not be forcibly liquidated or dissolved, and bankruptcy proceedings must not have been instituted.

Who is responsible for ordering HSE cards?

It is the employer or one-man enterprise that orders the cards and ensures that all who perform work at building and construction sites hold HSE cards issued by Oberthur Technologies (formerly NORSIK). If hired workers are employed at the building and construction site, it is the labour hire company that shall ensure that the hired employees are provided with HSE cards.

Card orders are carried out by a person designated by the undertaking and assigned orderer authorisation. The card orderer must be an employee of the undertaking for which HSE cards are to be ordered.

How to order HSE cards

The order is carried out in two stages. First, you must register as a card orderer. Then, when you are registered as a card orderer and have received a card orderer ID, you can order HSE cards.

Submitted forms that are incorrectly filled in or lack a card orderer ID are destroyed without necessarily notifying the orderer.

If you have not heard anything after one to two weeks, ring Oberthur Technologies service telephone 820 77 306

What do HSE cards cost?

The HSE card costs NOK 131,56 including VAT.

A number of consultancy firms provide help to employers in the building and construction sector in obtaining HSE cards. In principle, there is no reason why you should not use the help of consultants in the application process. The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority points out that text messages from consultancy firms that assist in the process do not apply as confirmation that the HSE card application process has been started.

Only confirmation and HSE cards from the card issuing company Oberthur Technologies (formerly NORSIK) are valid and approved by the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority.

Has your HSE card order been rejected?

The main reasons for rejection of HSE card applications are:

  • Invalid employment status / the employment status cannot be confirmed
  • Invalid proof of identity

Period of validity

The HSE card shall be issued for period corresponding to the length of employment but for a maximum period of two years.

The reason for the two-year limit on the period of validity is that the information on the card shall as far as possible be correct.

If the employment or the undertaking ceases or the card’s period of validity expires, the employer shall ensure that the HSE card is sent to Oberthur Technologies (formerly NORSIK) for destruction.

Destruction routine for HSE cards

On termination of employment, the employee shall return the HSE card to the employer. The employer/undertaking’s card orderer must then log into and mark the card as destroyed. This is done as follows:

  • Go to
  • Log in using a card orderer ID and password
  • Find the card by searching in “My Cards” and mark it as destroyed

The card shall then be sent to Oberthur Technologies (formerly NORSIK) for destruction:
Oberthur Technologies
Postboks 8113
4060 Stavanger

New cards must be issued to the employees if the company is taken over by or merged with another company or if the organisational form is changed.

Hint: To help prevent employees who leave from holding onto and possibly misusing the HSE card in the employer’s name when taking on new assignments, you may consider charging a returnable deposit when issuing the card to the employee.

The card holder’s responsibility

The HSE card is personal and shall not be transferred to other persons. The HSE card shall only be used to identify persons working at the building and construction site and is not valid as ordinary proof of identity.

When present at the building and construction site, the employee shall carry the HSE card. On request, the card shall be shown to:

  • the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority and the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway
  • the safety representative and the regional safety representative
  • the coordinator for safety, health and working environment
    (according to the Construction Client Regulations)
  • the company responsible for coordination of protective measures
    (according to section 2-2 of the Working Environment Act)

Loss of HSE cards

If an HSE card is lost or stolen, the employer shall be notified immediately. The employer/one-man enterprise shall immediately notify Oberthur Technologies so that the card can be made invalid and a new card issued.

If a lost HSE card is later found and a new HSE card has already been issued, the lost card must immediately be sent to Oberthur Technologies for destruction.

Who is responsible for supervising the scheme?

The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority and the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway responsible for supervising the scheme (the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway supervises activities on the continental shelf and at the large on-shore petroleum installations).

Sanctions for failure to hold an HSE card

Employers or one-man enterprises that fail to provide their employees or themselves with HSE cards will be ordered by the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority to obtain such cards. If the employer or one-man enterprises fails to comply with the orders of the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority, the employer’s activities may be halted until HSE cards are obtained. Particularly serious cases will be reported to the police and are punishable by imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months.

The employee and one-man enterprises may be subject to penalties if the HSE card is transferred to other persons.

Can you start work before you have received an HSE card?

The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority has received several reports from workers who have been refused admittance to the workplace because they do not hold HSE cards. Some groups of undertakings have difficulty in obtaining HSE cards for their employees owing to the time it takes to register in the necessary registers. If the employer can document that the undertaking has begun the process of registering itself and its employees, either in the various public registers or with the card issuer, the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority and the principal must pay regard to this. It should normally not take longer than one month from the start of the registration processes until HSE cards can be issued. Working during the application period until the HSE card is issued is not prohibited.

Provisional documentation solutions valid for persons who lack HSE cards:

1) Employment of such short duration that it is not possible to obtain ID cards before the employment or assignment is completed. This applies to:

  • Foreign workers engaged on single short-term assignments.
    Valid documentation: copy of RF 1199 or printout from stating the duration of the assignment
  • Holiday substitutes:
    Valid documentation: documentation on the duration of the employment by showing the employment contract.

2) Newly commenced employment:

  • New employees with national identity numbers or D numbers
    Valid documentation: documentation of commencement of employment and, if appropriate, a printout from of registration in the NAV State Register of Employers and Employees (Aa-registeret). If the undertaking has a card orderer ID, rejection notification from Oberthur Technologies (formerly NORSIK) can be approved as valid documentation of commencement of the application process.
  • Newly employed foreign workers at Norwegian employers
    Valid documentation: certified copy of the application for a tax card until the D number is received and an HSE card can be applied for.
  • Foreign worker on contract from a foreign employer
    Valid documentation: certified copy of RF-1199 until the D number is received and an HSE card can be applied for.

3) Workers on NAV labour market schemes
Valid documentation: copy of the contract between the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV) and the employer, or other confirmation from the NAV.

Rights according to the Personal Data Act

The Personal Data Act provides individuals with a number of rights in relation to information concerning themselves.

A main principle of the Personal Data Act is that people shall have greater control over information concerning themselves. This control is to be achieved mainly by provision of information to the persons concerned, by means of the right of access to information and by means of stringent requirements regarding use of personal information.

Information and right of access

We refer to sections 18, 19 and 20 of the Personal Data Act (In Norwegian at

The responsible ministry is the Ministry of Labour and Social Inclusion. The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority administers the scheme on behalf of the Ministry, and Oberthur Technologies (formerly NORSIK) issues the cards on behalf of the Ministry.

The information is used to identify you as the employee and your employment status, so that you can be secure that no-one can misuse your identity to obtain an HSE card.

The person designated as card orderer by your employer will at all times be able to see the information concerning you that is recorded on the employer’s pages at the card issuer. This consists of your name, national identity number and nationality. In addition, the person concerned will be able to see the photo of you and your signature as shown on the HSE card.

According to section 19, first paragraph (d) of the Personal Data Act, the provision of information is voluntary. However, it is necessary to provide the information in order to obtain an HSE card.

You can request Oberthur Technologies to inform you of what kind of information they have concerning you, and you are entitled to a reply within 30 days.

Correction of errors, deletion and blocking

We refer to sections 27 and 28 of the Personal Data Act
(In Norwegian at

You have a right to demand correction of erroneous or deficient information concerning you.

In principle, the undertaking shall correct deficient or erroneous information of its own accord. However, it is not always easy for persons handling large amounts of data to become aware of something that is missing or erroneous. The Norwegian Data Inspectorate therefore recommends that everyone actively use the right of access to information, and notify errors to the undertaking.

The undertaking shall delete or block display of information that is no longer necessary for the purpose of registration. This does not apply if the information shall be retained in accordance with other legislation, for example the Accounting Act and health legislation.

Rules and regulations